Twelve South Carroll
A relatively new addition to the capital square in Madison, Wis., Fromagination is a cheese and specialty food shop with a real commitment to local food and producers.
Fromagination is located right on the capital square in Madison, Wis. The Dane County Farmers' Market – billed as the largest producer-only market in the country – is held across the street around the capital building every Saturday, and around the corner on Wednesdays.
Ken Monteleone, Fromagination's owner and master cheesemonger, said he designed the store to be a permanent source for the many artisan cheeses and other products produced throughout the state, as well as other specialty items. We were impressed with the wide selection of high-quality local cheeses.
Fromagination also offers sandwiches and other prepared food, catering and classes, as well as a small selection of Wisconsin products on its web site.
• 1 Fromagination's location on Madison's capital square makes it a great place to warm up on a chilly morning at the market, and stock up on specialty food items.
• 2 The store has a wide selection of Wisconsin cheese, as well as selections from outside of the state.
• 3 The charcuterie case with some local selections.
• 4 A giant wedge of Emmentaler, made in 180-lb. wheels at nearby Edelweiss Creamery by Master Wisconsin Cheesemaker Bruce G. Workman.
• 5 The shop offers a variety of decorative items. We loved these lighted pussy willow branches.
• 6 Cheese orphans in need of a home.
• 7 Beautifully numbered wine bins.
• 8 Hors d'oeuvre plates.
• 9 Reusable cheese tags.
• 10 Delicate petal chandeliers.
(Images: Joanna Miller)