Quick Guides to Whole Grains
Barley, Hulled and Pearl - Chewy, tender grains. Especially good in soup.
Brown Rice - Rice with the hull still partially on. Higher in protein and fiber.
Buckwheat - Also called kasha. Small flower seeds with very toasty, nearly bitter flavor. Gluten-free.
Bulgur Wheat - Dried, precooked particles of wheat.
Farro - Chewy grain very similar to wheatberries and spelt.
Millet - Mildly sweet and nutty, and very small grains. Often used as birdseed. Gluten-free.
Oats - Sold as steel-cut or Irish oats (the whole oat groat, or grain), or rolled into quicker-cooking flakes. Technically gluten-free but often contaminated with gluten, and some GF folks find they can't digest oats well.
Quinoa - Ancient grain of South America. Complete protein, and gluten-free.
Sorghum - Important drought-resistant crop in central Africa. Gluten-free, with mild sweet taste. Can be popped like popcorn!
Spelt - A species of wheat that cooks up chewy and hearty.
Wheat Berries - The whole grain version of whole wheat flour! Great in risottos, soups, and casseroles.
Wild Rice - An intact grain, including the bran, endosperm, and germ, and a distant cousin of white rice varieties.
How To Cook Whole Grains
• How To Cook Brown Rice
• How To Cook Fluffy, Tasty Quinoa
• A No-Fuss Method for Cooking Almost Any Whole Grain
• How to Cook Rice on the Stove
• How To Cook Perfect Steel-Cut Oats
• How To Cook Steel-Cut Oats for Breakfast the Night Before
• How To Cook Barley
• Best of Both Worlds: A Method for Making Better Whole-Grain Risotto
Quick Guides to Whole Grain Flours
Baking with Whole Grain Flours
• Baking Tip: Soak Whole Grain Flours Overnight
• Fresh Flour: Grinding Whole Grains At Home
• How to Make Softer and Fluffier Whole Wheat Bread
• What To Make With Whole Wheat Pastry Flour?
• Good Question: Substituting White Whole Wheat Flour?
• Kitchen Storage: The Best Place to Keep Flour
• Not a Fan of Whole Wheat? Try Spelt Flour!
• What's the Difference? Cake Flour, Pastry Flour, All-Purpose Flour, and Bread Flour
• How To Prevent & Get Rid Of Grain Weevils
• Whole Grain, Whole Wheat, Multigrain: What's the Difference?
What are your favorite whole grains for cooking and baking? Any special tips or good ideas you return to?
(Images: Elena Schweitzer/Shutterstock; Faith Durand; Emma Christensen)