It's no secret that we here at The Kitchn love buying from the bulk section of the market. Whether we are looking for a small amount of spices or large amounts of grains, shopping in the bulk section saves money, minimizes waste, and inspires us to try out new pantry ingredients. In celebration of Bulk Foods Week (October 16-22), here are 13 tips, tricks and tutorials for buying and storing foods in bulk.
SHOPPING FOR BULK FOODS
• How To Buy and Store Bulk Foods
• Conscientious Cook: Which Foods to Buy in Bulk
• Good Reminder: Buy Spices from Bulk Bins
• Online Food Co-ops: Collective Shopping Made Convenient
• Shopping Tip: Mark the Tare Weight On Your Containers
• Origami Cloth Food Sacks
• No More Plastic Bags: Kootsac Food Storage Sacks
STORING & ORGANIZING BULK FOODS
• Storing and Organizing Bulk Foods in a Small Kitchen?
• Pantry Organization: Put Your Grains In Jars
• Scooping in Style! Bulk Bin Scoops at Home
• Best Spice Storage Solution: Mason Jars
• Thrifty Kitchen: 6 Ways to Reuse Oatmeal Tins!
• Quick Tip: Five Ways to Re-Use Yogurt Containers
• More about Bulk Foods Week at the Bulk Is Green Council
Do you have any tips for shopping for or organizing foods in bulk? What do you like to buy in the bulk section?
Related: America's First Packaging-Free Grocery Store
(Image: Faith Durand)