Stinging nettles seem to be having their time in the sun, as it were. In years past, we've spotted one recipe, maybe two, mostly begging people to "pretty please, just give nettles a chance
!" This year, recipes like the ones below are popping up all over the place with enthusiastic reviews! Have you tried stinging nettles yet?Stinging nettles deserve their name - they have tiny little hair-like stingers on the leaves and stems that make touching them very
unpleasant. But never fear, cooking removes the stingy stuff and leaves only the woodsy-tasting leaves behind. Just handle fresh nettles with gloves and all will be well.
1. Garlicky Nettle Pesto from Hogwash - Terrific tossed with a bowl of spaghetti or rubbed into spring lamb.
2. Spinach and Nettle Crustless Spanakopita from Stitch n' Boots - A strata of nettles and spinach made rich with eggs and feta. (Gluten-free!)
3. Spring Lasagna with Asparagus, Peas, and Stinging Nettles from The Bitten Word - All the best flavors of spring in this one.
4. Nettle Gnudi from Salty Seattle - These are a cousin of gnocchi made with ricotta and wilted nettles.
5. Nettle-Mushroom Pie with Pine Nuts from Voodoo & Sauce - An easy savory pie for dinner, lunch, or brunch.
6. Nettle Aloo from Just Cook It - A hearty Indian stew with nettles, sweet potatoes, and chickpeas.
7. Stinging Nettle Ravioli with Butter and Sage from La Travola Marche - Little pillows of nettle-stuffed goodness.
8. Nettle Pizza with Fontina, Taleggio, and Pancetta from Serious Eats: Slice - Actually a review of a pizza from Lovely's Fifty-Fifty restaurant, take this one as inspiration to make your own seasonal pizza!
How are you using nettles right now?
Related: Seasonal Recipe: Nettle Soup
(Images: Kathryn Hill and Jess Thomson/Hogwash)