Just because it's summer and we don't feel like turning on the oven doesn't mean we have to deprive our sweet tooth! Here are some of our favorite desserts for this time of year, ranging from quick whip-up desserts to stove-top classics. What are yours?
• Strawberries, Sour Cream and Brown Sugar - If strawberry season has ended where you live, other seasonal fruits like peaches, blue berries, and pears are equally good!
• Ice Cold Watermelon - A light sprinkling of sugar, lemon zest, and fresh mint make watermelon even better.
• Beer Floats - Just grab your favorite chocolate stout and a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
• Eton Mess - Fresh fruit + whipped cream + meringue = yum
• Cantaloupe Granita - You can also make granitas with just about any other fruit you can find!
• Strawberry-Yogurt Popsicles - These are also good with any other fresh fruit
• Spiced Apple Cider Sorbet - We should start to see early-season apples at the markets in the next few weeks!
• Sour Cherry Almond Ice Cream with Chocolate Chunks - This one has particular appeal to us right now, but check out our archive for tons more ice cream recipes!
• Poached Plums with Brown Sugar Syrup - This is an especially good dessert if you find yourself stuck with any under-ripe plums, peaches, or nectarines.
• Grilled Peaches with Bourbon Vanilla Whipped Cream - Grilling fruit on the stovetop or over an outdoor grill caramelizes the outside and adds a hint of smokiness.
• Crepes filled with Fresh Fruit - The fruit can be fresh or slightly .softened in butter before serving.
• Spicy Boozey Chocolate Mousse - We saved the best for last. Chocolate mousse is the ultimate in no-bake decadence!
Your turn! What are your favorite summer desserts?
Related: Roundup: Chilled Summer Soups Other Than Gazpacho
(Images: Kathryn Hill, Faith Durand, Elizabeth Passarella and Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan for the Kitchn)