While I'm loathe to introduce the idea of the winter holidays here in the first week of August, there are some homemade edible gifts that need to be started now if you want them to be ready in time for gifting in December. Read on for a list of recipes and ideas and let us know what DIY gifts you're starting on right now.
Of course, many people are already canning and preserving the bounty with an eye to holiday gifts. Receiving a jar of apricot jam in December is a different thing than receiving one now, after all. But there are many other ways to capture a bit of sumer for those cold, dark months. Here are a few projects from The Kitchn that need some lead time before they're ready:
• Baker's Tip: Make Your Own Vanilla Extract
• Improvisational Cherry Vinegar
• DIY Recipe: Boozy Cherries 21/2 Ways
• Recipe Review: Melissa Clark's DIY Maraschino Cherries
• Recipe Report: Quince Ratafia (can be made with any fruit)
• Love Fruitcake? Start Your Fruit Mix Now
• DIY Candied Lemon Peel
What holiday project are you starting on right now?
(Image: Faith Durand)