I love tender spring greens, and summer salads of tomatoes and basil are deeply exciting. But I have to say: Fall salads get me the most excited. It's when all the really interesting root vegetables come out to play, and fruits like apples and pears are at their best. Here are 8 fall salads to get excited about, especially if you want to enjoy fall's bounty but aren't quite ready for soup yet!
It is always sad to see the tomatoes go with the first frost, but I also get excited about my kale and chard. See, hearty greens just get sweeter after the frost. Cabbage and Brussels sprouts don't really come into their own until the weather gets a little colder, too, so autumn is the best time to slice up your slaws. And if you like fruit in salads, this is simply the best time of year.
Here are eight salads that really express how good salads can be in the fall.
From The Kitchn:
• Cabbage Beet Coleslaw (pictured above) - I served this at my wedding! It has some serious color, and taste, too, with orange juice and caraway seeds.
• Roasted Squash and Arugula Salad with Pecans, Bacon, and Goat Cheese (pictured above) - A glorious mess of squash, greens, bacon, goat cheese — this salad has it all!
• Asian Pear, Fresh Date, and Pomegranate Salad - A different sort of fruit salad!
• Fennel, Beet, and Orange Salad - A beautiful salad; many colors, textures and tastes going on here.
From Around the Web:
• Fall Salad with Nuts and Pomegranates (pictured at top) - When I think of fall salads, I think of toasted nuts like pecans and walnuts.
• Squash and Chickpea Fritters with Winter Greens and Hazelnut Salad (pictured at top) - I love how these greens (again with the nuts!) show off against the squash fritters.
• Arugula and Pear Salad with Mascarpone and Toasted Walnuts - Tender greens like arugula perk up again in the fall; you should be able to find nice greens and lettuces at the farmers market until November. Enjoy them!
• Fall Salad with Apples, Walnuts, and Stilton - A real classic.
What are your favorite fall salads?
Related: Recipe Roundup: Main Dish Salads
(Images: Photo: Shelly Strazis; Styling: Valerie Aikman-Smith for Sunset/MyRecipes; Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto for Sunset/MyRecipes; Faith Durand; Dana Velden)