The best pumpkin ales, in my opinion, are brewed with actual pumpkin. This can be anything from pumpkin puree to actual pieces of roasted squash, but a little pumpkin goes a long way to making a truly unique beer.
These are a few worthy contenders for your fall pumpkin cravings:
1. Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery - Rich pumpkin flavor with a backbone of brown sugar.
2. Pumking from Southern Tier Brewing Company - Nutmeg and cinnamon spices are very forward with this one. Vanilla adds a warming note.
3. Post Road Pumpkin Ale from Brooklyn Brewery - Less pumpkiny than other brews, but with a nice spicy character.
4. Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin Ale from Hoppin' Frog Brewery - Stronger and bolder than other pumpkin ales, from the pumpkin to the spices to the ABV.
5. UFO Pumpkin from Harpoon Brewery - Malty, spicy, and earthy with an appropriately autumnal crisp finish.
Love pumpkin ale? What's your favorite?