A sandwich made with one of these cured meats barely needs condiments:
• Prosciutto - Made from the hind leg of the pig, rubbed with salt and spices, and air-dried.
• Speck - A pork-product very similar to prosciutto, this meat is smoked as a final step in the curing process.
• Guanciale - This cured pork jowl needs to be fried like before eating. Just imagine making your next BLT with it!
• Jamón Ibérico - As one of the most expensive cured ham products, this one is definitely a treat. But its sweet and nutty flavor is like nothing else. Serrano ham makes a close (and more affordable) second.
• Virginia Surryano Ham - One of the best renditions of European-style cured ham that we've found in the US.
• Bresaola - This is lean, air-cured beef with a deeper, more meaty flavor than prosciutto.
• Salami - Simultaneously spicy, chewy, and sweet, this cured sausage is one of our favorites for a fully-flavored sandwich.
• Lardo - Sandwiches of this thinly-sliced cured pork fat have to be some of the richest and most decadent ever. Give it a try if you ever have the chance.
These are, of course, just a handful of the delicious cured meat products available for our luxury sandwich pleasures. What are your favorites?
More on Cured Meats: