We were a little surprised at the number of times the sandwich from the film Spanglish was mentioned in the comments section of our welcome note for last Thursday's launch. We definitely didn't suspect a little fried egg sandwich would dominate the chatter (even if it was developed by famed Chef, Thomas Keller), but we were pleased by how many people jumped in.
Nestled in those 30-something comments was Enrique's post, putting us all out of our misery and finally revealing the recipe [via Collective Detective]
World's Greatest Sandwich
3-4 slices of bacon
2 slices of Monterey Jack cheese
2 slices of toasted rustic country loaf (pain de campagne)
1 tbsp of mayo
4 tomato slices
2 leaves of butter lettuce (yes, it’s called butter lettuce)
1 teaspoon butter
1. Cook the bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels
2. Place slices of cheese on one side of toasted bread. Place in toaster oven or under broiler to melt.
3. Spread mayo on other slice of bread top with bacon, sliced tomato, and lettuce
4. On non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Fry egg, turning over briefly when the bottom is set (keep yolk runny)
5. Slide finished egg on top of lettuce, top with other slice of bread (cheese-side down genius)
6. Place sandwich on plate and slice in half, letting yolk run down sandwich