This just looks like normal, albeit small, kitchen island, right? Wrong. Read on to see how this kitchen worktop can fit in even the smallest kitchen.
We don't have a kitchen island, but we wish we did. We like to be at least partially surrounded by workspace, and even a small island is helpful. It's especially nice during the holidays or parties, when an extra workstation makes multiple dishes (and extra hands) easier to manage.
But we just don't have space for an island in our pass-through kitchen. So, this folding island really caught our attention! It folds up when not in use; you can bring it out for weekend cooking and fold it away for weekday busyness. Or store it away for holidays, or leave it up all the time except when you have a cocktail party and need a little extra space in the kitchen. It folds up small enough to be tucked between cupboards or slid under a bed. We think this has real potential!
• Folding Kitchen Island, $199.95 at Plow & Hearth. Size: 23" x 22-1/2" x 36"H
More space savers:
• Small Space Saver: Fold-Down Shelf
• Small Space Saver: PANTREE Vertical Organization
• Small Space Saver: Cupboard Lid Organizer
• Space Maker: Corner Cutting Board by Peter Meier
Originally published January 20, 2009.