It's nearly May, and for beer lovers, translates directly into maibocks. With their soft malty flavors and hint of hoppy bitterness, these traditional spring lagers mark the shift away from dark winter brews to the crisp golden brews of the warmer months. Here are five worth seeking out.
• Smuttynose Maibock from Smuttynose Brewing Co. in Portsmouth, NH
• Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Brewing in Oregon
• Cabin Fever Honey Bock from New Glarus Brewing Co. in New Glarus, WI
• Big Thaw Bock from Old Dominion Brewing Company in Dover, DE
• St. Boisterous from Victory Brewing Company in Downington, PA
Don't let the light caramel color of maibocks fool you into thinking this is a light beer, in either flavor or
in alcohol. These beers are chock full of complex floral and honey-like malt flavors tempered with herbal hop bitterness. And never fear, there's enough alcohol kick to keep you warm on chilly spring nights.
Had a good maibock lately?
Related: Quick and Dirty Guide to Lager Beers
(Image: Flickr member edwin.bautista licensed under Creative Commons)