Smoked fish, tender seafood, fresh veggies, creamy binders and soft fresh baked bread; Layer it all together and what do you have? Smörgåstårta. It's a Swedish staple that's perfect for parties, brunches, and those days where your family never seems to eat at the same time. Plus, come on — it's a cake made of sandwich! You know you want it!
A Smörgåstårta isn't quite cake and it isn't quite sandwich. You know when you make your own tuna salad sandwich and you get a little excited and overfill it? The bread is really only there to act as a vessel in which to get every tasty morsel of filling into your mouth. That's probably a better description.
The bread in a Smörgåstårta is really only there to help keep things together and add a little stability and is only seen when things are sliced into. There's literally thousands of different ways to create them, so if you're not into fish or meat at all, adjust things to suit your tastes. Check out a few of our favorite finds below!
FIRST ROW LEFT TO RIGHT
• Smorgastarta Birthday Cake from Panini Happy
• Vegetarian Sandwich Cake from 7! Magazine
• Individual Sandwich Cakes from Alltom Mat
• Easter Sandwich Cake from Kryddburken
• Sandwich Cake With Salmon and Spinach from Maya's World
SECOND ROW LEFT TO RIGHT
• Tiered Sandwich Cake from Flickr member Morten Hoff
• Anneli Sandwich Cake from Kokaihop
• French & Rye Bread Sandwich Cake from Bevemyrs
• Chicken Sandwich Cake from Ena Tartor's My Cakes
• Fruit & Ham Sandwich Cake at Kryddburken
THIRD ROW LEFT TO RIGHT
• Fruit & Liverwurst Sandwich Cake from Kindergarten Chef
• Mediterranean Sandwich Cake from Narebo
• Light Smorgastarta from Eating Well
• Roast Beef & Bacon Sandwich Cake from En Sida Med Mat
• Vegan Sandwich Cake from Onsketartor
Related: Swedish Kitchen Tour: Chez Larsson
(Image: See links above for full image credits)