Over the past few years, bacon has been sprinkled into everything — from cupcakes to salads to cookies. To be honest, we got a little tired of the bacon overload. But we don't want to forget bacon's proper place; it still is one of the most delicious things you can eat. Personally, I like using just a hint of bacon at the beginning of a meal. That smoky saltiness wakes up the tastebuds for the meal to come. So many of my favorite appetizers call for just a smattering of bacon, and here are a few favorites — from bacon and goat cheese pops, to bacon-wrapped potato bites, to soup shooters garnished with just a tasty crumb or two. TOP ROW
• 1 Bacon-Wrapped Potato Bites with Spicy Sour Cream Dipping Sauce - These are hearty, indulgent, and incredibly popular.
• 2 Goat Cheese Pops with Herbs, Pecans, and Bacon - Savory little balls of goat cheese, rolled in bacon.
• 3 Elegant Pancetta Cups - These are more of a sit-down appetizer, and they're perfect for Mother's Day brunch. Fill them with salad, egg salad — anything that goes with bacon.
• 4 Vidalia Onion Dip with Bacon Crumbles - A fresher onion dip, from scratch, garnished with bacon.
• 5 Bacon Fat Popcorn - Bacon fat popcorn is unexpected, delicious, and still quite light.
• 6 S.T.'s Tex-Mex Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Nuggets - Winner of a past recipe contest, by popular vote!
• 7 How To Make Candied Salted Bacon - A few bites of this with a plate of good cheese? Yes please.
• 8 Cream of Celery Soup with Bacon - A good soup for spring, and a great way to start a meal.
• 9 Bacon and Cheddar Cheese Biscuits - Make these biscuits extra-tiny, and serve them with fruit, nuts, and other appetizer nibbles. Your guests will go wild.
More on Bacon:
• Bacon-Sage Meatballs with Buttermilk Gravy - Would be great served on toothpicks.
• How To Make Perfect Bacon in the Oven - Our favorite method.
• Bacon and Eggs Appetizer - Cute little eggs 'n' bacon in spoons.
What's your favorite bacon-laden appetizer?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)