We have come up with ways to make coffee table dining less college/bachelor-like. Admittedly, sometimes we are lazy and fail to follow this to a T. But since reading Elizabeth's post, I have been re-inspired to make more of an effort. It can make a real difference when living in a small space.
• Clear the table before eating: Devote the space to dining by removing remote controls, magazines, etc.
• Set the table: Use placemats, cloth napkins, nice dishes, even candles or flowers.
• Use floor cushions: Personally, I'm fine without cushions, but they can make sitting on the floor more comfortable, especially for guests.
• Don't watch television: Sitting right in front of the TV, it can be tempting to turn it on, and sometimes we do. But keeping it off helps us to better enjoy our food and company.
• Clear the table after eating: This is good advice for any table, not just the coffee table, but especially important to restore the space from "dining room" to "living room."
Do you eat at your coffee table, either out of necessity or choice? Do you love it, hate it, have any advice?
Related posts from Apartment Therapy:
• 10 Coffee Tables for Couch Potato Dining
• Best Adjustable Coffee Tables 2008
• Good Questions: Any Adjustable Coffee Table Resources?
• Good Questions: Convertible Coffee / Dining Tables
• No Dining Room? No Problem!: Other Places In Your Home To Have A Dinner Party
• Recreating The "Kitchen Table": Small Space Dwellers Create A New Place To Dine
(Image: Gregory Han)