I think that we can all agree that a cookie is a glorious and wonderful thing to behold. And a slice-and-bake cookie — one that you make ahead, keep in your freezer, and literally slice-and-bake whenever the mood strikes — well, that just makes the deal even sweeter, doesn't it? In her latest book, the aptly titled Slice & Bake Cookies, Elinor Klivans rounds up all the freezer cookies she can think of and hands them to us in one very tempting package.
• Who wrote it: Elinor Klivans
• Who published it: Chronicle Books
• Number of recipes: Over 45
• Recipes for right now: Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies, Espresso & Dark Chocolate Chipsters, Squared-Off Lemon Shortbread, Chocolate-Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies, Raisin-Filled Cinnamon Cookies, Vanilla Cookies with Fudge Filling, Ham & Swiss Swirls, Wafer Stuffed with Figs & Tapenade
• Other highlights: Elinor Klivans really covers her bases here with four main types of slice-and-bake cookies: chewy cookies like snickerdoodles and oatmeal-raisin, crispy cookies like sugar cookies and shortbread, stuffed- and sandwich-cookies, and savory cookies. I am totally hooked on the idea of "stuffed" cookies! These take two thin rounds of cookie dough and sandwich them together, pre-baking, with something like a wedge of chocolate or chopped raisins in the filling. They're cookies with a surprise inside!
You'll find all your favorites here, like oatmeal-raisin and chocolate chip, ready to be frozen for that surprise guest or your midnight cravings. But if your shelf is already full of baking cookbooks, you'll still find plenty of new and inventive ideas in this book to make this cookbook worth picking up. She has a triple-chip cookie that needs to be made in my kitchen immediately. I also love all the cookies that get rolled in nuts or other toppings, which gives them a pretty decoration around the edge when baked later on.
• Who would enjoy this book? Cookie lovers, people who frequently bake for fundraisers and events
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Slice & Bake Cookies by Elinor Klivans
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)