1. Whole Milk or Heavy Cream - Add a splash and let the sauce simmer for a few minutes to thicken
2. Hard Cheeses - A half cup of parmesan, pecorino, or other hard cheese will add a deep savory note to the sauce.
3. Fresh Cheese - Try a scoop of ricotta or even creme fraiche to add richness. Brie or mascarpone can also be interesting in pasta!
4. Cream Cheese - Got some cream cheese leftover from your weekend bagels? Mix it into your pasta sauce!
5. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil - Drizzle just a little of your best olive oil over the pasta before serving and you'll be amazed at how much flavor it adds.
6. Flavored Olive Oils - Flavored oils that you make yourself do double duty, adding both a silky mouthfeel and extra spices.
7. Butter - As you might imagine, a simple pat of butter, especially fresh high-quality butter, makes even the simplest sauce taste decadent.
8. Pasta Water - Scoop out some of the cooking water just before draining out the pasta. A few tablespoons of this starchy liquid is a low-calorie way of adding creaminess to any sauce.
What other last-minute additions do you put in your pasta sauces?