Have you picked up a stomach bug this winter? At least one of our editors is down and out with a nasty virus and so we have gentle eating on the brain right now. We discovered that there is a very particular diet recommended for those of us under the weather...
It's called the BRAT diet - a handy acronym. Here's what it stands for:
1. Bananas - Bananas, whether they are under-ripe or brown, like the ones we talked about earlier today, are easy on the stomach.
2. Rice - White rice is easy on the stomach and lets your innards rest.
3. Apple Juice/Applesauce - Same with apple juice and applesauce; they have minimal amounts of fiber but are still full of good sugars and calories.
4. Toast - White toast with little or no butter is also easy on the stomach.
This is the diet historically prescribed for gastrointestinal distress, and whether it's you, a friend, or a child, this is a good list of basics to stick to when you're not feeling so hot. It's not a diet to stick to long-term; it's definitely lacking in many basic nutrients. But it will give you stomach a rest if it's not feeling great.
Our other flu-season standby is this Flu Season Ginger Honey Lemon Tonic.
Also try these sick-day standbys:
• Jane's Curative White Bean Soup
• Miso Soup
• Spicy Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
• Easy Green Minestrone
• Blood Orange Jelly Smiles
(Image credits: Toast from Tuvie.com; apple juice from SOCI; bananas from StLucia.gov; rice from Gulf Business)