If you know and love sour cherries, you also know that the season is oh-so-short. And so precious.
Sour cherries are also sometimes referred to as "pie cherries" or "tart cherries" and are so delicate and perishable that you generally won't find them in your neighborhood grocery store. They're most common in Michigan or Wisconsin although we've spotted them in the Northwest and Northeast when the time is right--usually late June. For some reason this year, sour cherries are popping up even earlier and we thought we'd get a head start on a few of our favorite recipes from the Kitchn archives as well as some new favorites from around the web.
From the Kitchn:
• Couscous with Sour Cherries and Pine Nuts
• Sour Cherry Almond Ice Cream with Chocolate Chunks
• Recipe Review: Sour Cherry Coffee Cake from Lottie + Doof
• Sour Cherry Jam - Food in Jars
• Sour Cherry Turnovers - Food and Wine
• Sour Cherry, Coconut, and Chocolate Brownies - Citrus and Candy
• Sour Cherry Slab Pie - Smitten Kitchen
• Classic Sour Cherry Pie with Lattice Crust - Bon Appetit
• Sour Cherry Clafoutis - A Canadian Foodie
• Sour Cherry and Almond Breakfast Buns - The English Kitchen
Related: In Season Right Now: Sour Cherries
(Images: Carly & Art via Flickr and French Tart via Flickr)