"Kitchen Island" sounds like an amusement park ride designed especially for cooking enthusiasts! But no, we're talking about the kind of islands that live in the middle of your kitchen, giving you extra counter space and storage. Which many of us so desperately need
. Here are a few we've been eyeing:
• The Town House Table from Kitchen Island Company, $405 and up
- We like the look and sturdiness of the light wood. We considered other models with more shelves, but decided that we'd end up bumping our knees a lot as we did prepwork. The model comes in several sizes, so we can pick the one that best fits our space.
• Dacke Kitchen Island from Ikea, $549
- This one has a chique modern design, and yet is still very functional. The drawer would be very handy, and Ikea has a rolling cart with shelves that fits perfectly underneath (of course!).
• Monterey Oak Granite Kitchen Cart from Chefs, $499.99
- Granite makes a very nice work surface
, and the combination of drawers and shelves would be very handy. We can't decide if having wheels would be a bonus or if they would make the island less sturdy.
• Kitchen Cart from Everything Furniture, $268
- This cart island seems like it has a little bit of everything: stainless steel counter, wood legs and shelves, wheels, and even a side bar for kitchen towels!
Do you have a kitchen island? What do you like or not like about it?
Related: Look! Kitchen Island Made from Shopping Carts!