Our Ice Cream Maker Reviews
Freeze the Bowl Models
1. Cuisinart ICE-21 Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker, $59.95 from Amazon: We dubbed this ice cream maker "an excellent little machine for a great price." While you still have to freeze the bowl and chill the mix, this machine enabled us to make two batches back to back in about 15-20 minutes. Impressive!
Read the Full Review: Product Review: Cuisinart ICE-21 Ice Cream Maker
2. Cuisinart 1-1/2-Quart Automatic Ice Cream Maker, $49.99 from Amazon: A very basic model that requires no rock salt, no ice, no hand churning. However, you can only do one batch at a time because the bowl needs to be refrozen in between. It also produces a very soft ice cream, so you'll need to give it a few more hours in the freezer to harden. But it's small, convenient, and inexpensive!
Read the Full Review: Product Review: Cuisinart 1-1/2-Quart Automatic Ice Cream Makers
3. Cuisinart ICE-50BC Supreme Ice Cream Maker, $260 at Amazon: A major step up from freezer-bowl makers, this consumer compressor model is perfect when you want to make more batches in a shorter period of time. It's bulky and a little loud, but if you're a heavy-duty ice cream or sorbet eater, this is a fabulous machine.
Read the Full Review: Product Review: Cuisinart ICE-50BC Supreme Ice Cream Maker
4. Cuisinart ICE-100 Ice Cream and Gelato Maker, $299 at Amazon: another compressor model we've had great experiences with. It took a couple tries, but our "second batch was a miracle." Rich, creamy, no ice crystals, and hard after 40 minutes. Also, it's super easy to use and easy to clean up.
Read the Full Review: The Cuisinart ICE-100 Ice Cream and Gelato Maker
5. DeLonghi GM6000 Gelato Maker with Self-Refrigerating Compressor, $248 from Amazon: We were totally swooning over this machine. It was significantly quieter than other ice cream machines and fast. Both batches we made froze in about 40 minutes.
Read the Full Review: Product Review: DeLonghi Gelato Maker
Readers, do you have an ice cream maker? What kind do you have?
More on Ice Cream Makers from The Kitchn's Archives:
• Can You Recommend a Bigger Ice Cream Machine?
• Questions for David Lebovitz: Best Ice Cream Maker?
• Ina Garten's Favorite Ice Cream: And Ice Cream Maker
• 10 Ice Cream Makers and Accessories for Your Kitchen
• Help! Why Doesn't My KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Work?
• Good Question: Should I Upgrade My Ice Cream Maker?
(Image: Faith Durand)