During the holiday season there are bound to be local grocers offering special deals to help you save on your entertaining bill. But want to a know a secret? It doesn't get any fresher or cheaper than what's at your local farmers' markets right now. Is your freezer ready? Even if you haven't planned out your holiday menus yet or even considered entertaining, there are a few things you can count on: you will in fact eat, and at some point someone will eat with you. So pick up a few items at the farmers' market now! Look for basics that can be blanched and frozen, like carrots, apples, even greens. Don't have a big freezer? Check with friends and family. Buy them an edible prize for their few months of spacial sacrifice and everyone wins!
More Preserving Summer Produce Tips:
• Preserving Without Canning: Tips and Tricks for Summer Produce
• Freeze and Preserve Fresh Herbs in Olive Oil
• 10 Ways to Preserve Cherries
• Tips on Pickling, Canning & Preserving This Year's CSA Haul
• The Farmers' Market: Helpful Hints and Etiquette Tips
(Image: Emily Ho)