Where would we be without our vegetable peeler? It's definitely on our list of essential prep tools and utensils. If you cook a lot from scratch, your vegetable peeler probably gets a lot of use! So, you need a good one: sharp, easy to maneuver, and effective. Here are 5 great ones:
• 1 Messermeister Pro Touch Swivel Peeler, $12 from Amazon: Highly recommended by Cook's Illustrated, it's also the peeler of choice for award-winning cookbook author Joanne Weir.
• 2 Kuhn Rikon Swiss Peeler, $4 from Sur La Table: Made with a carbon-steel blade, this peeler is one of our favorites. As Kitchn reader purdygirl says: "I think Kuhn Rikon is great. Their vegetable peeler, a three dollar item, is the best peeler I have ever used."
• 3 CUTCO Vegetable Peeler, $27 from CUTCO representatives: we reviewed this peeler (see our full review here) and gave it high marks for doing a basic job in a quiet, thoroughly competent manner.
• 4 Swissmar Peeler Scalpel Blade, $9.50 from Amazon: the scalpel blade peeler works well on hard fruits and vegetables, but is also great for creating thin shavings of Parmesan cheese, for example, or chocolate.
• 5 OXO Good Grips Swivel Peeler, $8.95 from Crate & Barrel: in our review of this peeler, we said it was beautiful because it works! It 'grips on the handle help to race through a pile of potatoes or the tougher skin of a squash, maintaining its sharpness through over a year of heavy use." It's also suitable for both left- and- right-handed cooks.
Readers, what's your favorite vegetable peeler brand? Share your reviews below!
Related: Good Question: Is It Possible To Sharpen My Vegetable Peeler?
(Images: as linked)