Meals in the Midwest are a hearty mix of German and Scandinavian cuisines: heavy on the cream and light on the spices. And with this being the birthplace of the potluck dinner, you can be sure that you're always welcome to pull up a chair.Communal dinners, church suppers, and potlucks were a big part of life on the frontier. Even today, you can drive through the Midwest and see signs for drop-in church dinners or Friday night fish fries in every small town you come to!
True to style, most of these recipes will feed a crowd or can be frozen for future crowd-feeding.
• Swedish Meatballs from the Food Network
• German Style Onions and Bratwurst from Chef2Chef
• Basic Fish Fry from Recipezaar
• Upper Peninsula (ie, Michigan!) Pasties from Pasties Pasties
• Classic Meatloaf from Simply Recipes
Ok, Midwesterners, what other foods deserve a place on our list?!