Cake can sometimes speak louder than words — one bite and you know that someone out there loves you. Edd Kimber doesn't want fears of failure or the pursuit of perfection to keep us from sharing a simple slice of cake with those we care about. In his new book, he has cakes for every occasion, big and small, with all the details and encouragement we need to bake with confidence.
• Who wrote it: Edd Kimber
• Who published it: Kyle Books
• The Angle: Easy cakes and desserts that look impressive, no matter your skill level
• Number of recipes: Over 80
• Recipes for right now: Luscious Lemon Cake, Simple Celebration Chocolate Cake, Red Velvet Cheesecake, Orange & Chocolate 50th Anniversary Cake, Easter Nest Cupcakes, Chocolate & Guinness Bundt Cake, Lamingtons
• Other highlights:
Most of the cakes are decorated simply and un-fussily, but there are a few fancier recipes that say, "C'mon, we can take it one step further!" Alongside these skills-stretching cakes are great step-by-step shots of the more complicated steps — Hello, 32 photograph spread of working with fondant! Overall, I think these recipes can be tackled by bakers of any skill level, but I like that the recipes range from easy to more complex, everyday to special occasion.
I also like that Kimber's definition of "cakes" extends to desserts beyond the spongy, pillowy variety. Towers of profiteroles, a plate of coconut-dusted lamingtons, and classic mousse-like charlottes feel just as celebratory and festive to me as layer cakes, and I like the variety they add to this collection.
• Who would enjoy this book? New bakers ready to up their cake game; bakers looking for new cake inspiration for any event, big or small; if you agree with the statement, "It's not a celebration until there's cake"
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Say It With Cake by Edd Kimber
• Visit the author's website: The Boy Who Bakes
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Image credits: Emma Christensen)