One of my favorite go-to desserts in the colder months is shortbread. It's ridiculously simple to make, the kitchen is always stocked with the four necessary ingredients (flour, sugar, butter, salt!), and the end result presents beautifully.
However, shortbread need not always be sweet. Savory shortbread is an excellent, less expected pair with hearty fall soups and salads, or even as an elegant appetizer to nosh on over cocktails with friends.
A basic shortbread recipe is easy to alter by subbing out the sugar with whatever savory herbs or cheese you have on hand — cheddar, rosemary, bacon, you name it.
Here are six very delicious savory shortbread recipes we can't wait to test out with fall soups and stews:
- Savory Parmesan Shortbread Rounds - Epicurious
- Mark Bittman's Spicy Cheddar Shortbread - Food52
- Parmesan, Rosemary and Thyme Shortbread - Savory Simple
- Sweet and Savory Orange Cumin Shortbread Cookies - Honest Cooking
- Gorgonzola and Pistachio Shortbread - Closet Cooking
- Caramelized Onion Shortbread Cookies - Little Bitty Bakes
Now that we're all craving buttery, savory shortbread, what soups would you pair with these recipes?
(Image: Leela Cyd Ross)