Throwing a cocktail party this holiday season? Going to a potluck? Doing any kind of entertaining at all?! Yup, Salty Snacks is going to be a lifesaver. With clever ideas for everything from cheese straws to something simply (and temptingly) called "Deviled Bacon," we definitely won't be bringing the same dish twice to any parties this season.
• Who wrote it: Cynthia Nims
• Who published it: Ten Speed Press
• Number of recipes: 75 recipes
• Recipes for right now: Parsnip and Carrot Chips, Sichuan Pepper Apple Chips, Kale Chips with Lemon and Ginger, Porcini Choux Puffs, Buckwheat Biscuits with Ham and Pear, Rosemary Cornmeal Crackers, Blue Cheese Straws, Curry-Pickled Quail Eggs
• Other highlights: This book is a treasure trove of ideas for snacking and party appetizers. I love how author Cynthia Nims uses spice mixes like Chinese Five Spice and garam masala to give familiar snacks a new twist. She also uses strong cheeses, mustards, and herbs to really pack in all the flavor a snack can hold!
I'd say the recipes in this book are definitely intended for an adult palate (unless your child is an especially adventurous eater!). Many of them would make great mid-day snacks or food gifts to mail to friends. Even more of them would make your next cocktail party an unforgettable event.
• Who would enjoy this book? Cooks who like to entertain or who are often invited to potluck parties, people who like savory snacks
Find the book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon: Salty Snacks: Make Your Own Chips, Crisps, Crackers, Pretzels, Dips, and Other Savory Bites by Cynthia Nims
• Visit Cynthia Nim's website: Mon Appétit
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)