Granita is one of the easier summer treats to make—most call for just three or four ingredients, and you need only a fork and a little time to turn it into sweet little shards you can scoop into a glass. If you've never made it, go read Emma's tutorial right here: Weekend Project: Make Granita. Then consider making an adults-only version with one of the boozy recipes below. We've organized by type of alcohol...
We've actually never made an alcoholic granita, and we know booze doesn't freeze. But we're assuming the small amounts included—plus the fact that you don't want your granita frozen solid—makes the whole thing work.
If you're having a grown-up party and want something sweet but not too heavy to end the meal, we suggest trying one of these. You can pick your poison.
Wine and Champagne:
• Sangria Granita (red), from Fine Cooking
• Sangria Granita (white), from Sandra Lee
• Pink Grapefruit, Strawberry, and Champagne Granita, from Bon Appétit
• Champagne Granita, from Bobby Flay
• Cherry Vodka Granita, from Waitrose
• Lemongrass, Pineapple, and Vodka Granita, from the Toronto Star
• Margarita Granita, from Everyday Food (above, left)
• Tequila Granita with Lychee and Yuzu Cream, from Gale Gand
Liqueurs and Apertifs:
• Muscatel and Green Grape Granita, from Chow
• Poached Grapefruit with Grapefruit Granita (includes Campari), from Martha Stewart Living (above, right)
• Amaretto Coffee Granita, from cdkitchen
Related: Ice Cream Alternative: Tart Red Cherry Granita from Saveur