We think the key is probably to use the pastries immediately, when they are as fresh as possible. And we also think smaller profiteroles are better. Little bite-sized pastries with a tablespoon of ice cream rather than two big, tennis ball-sized lumps. Something about popping a flaky pastry into your mouth, only to bite down on a bed of ice cream... well, it's delectable.
We've convinced ourselves to give them a try. What about you?
Recipes we're eyeing:
• Profiteroles with Coffee Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce, from Gourmet (above)
• Cream Puffs with Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Sauce, from Thomas Keller
• Profiteroles, from Ina Garten
• Profiteroles with Chartreuse Ice Cream, from Anita of Married with Dinner (via Tartelette)
• Chocolate Profiteroles with Pistachio Ice Cream, from Emeril Lagasse
(Image: Romulo Yanes for Gourmet)