I feel like blueberries often get taken for granted. Thrown by the frozen handful into coffee shop muffins, their taste appropriated in fake flavorings, they are both boring and ubiquitous. Sometimes I just forget how good a real blueberry can be. But a true, in-season blueberry has so much juicy flavor! Here are 13 recipes that celebrate this flavor. From buckwheat pancakes, to a blueberry-banana cake, and blueberry ice cream to fluffy whole wheat muffins, here are a few recipes to get you ready for blueberry season.
We are perched on the edge of blueberry season, as those ripe, round, juicy little berries just start to roll into markets. Here are recipes both sweet and less-sweet, with one purely savory dinner thrown in for good measure.
SWEET DESSERTS (AND ONE SAVORY DINNER)
• 1 Blueberry Banana Cake - A simple cake that feeds a crowd. (One reader said that she'll never make cream cheese frosting without rum again!)
• 2 Apple and Blueberry Shortcake from Bill Granger - A very simple stuffed shortcake. Great for breakfast as well as dessert.
• 3 Helen's Pork Chops with Savory Blueberry Sauce - Blueberries have enough natural tannins to make them a good pairing for meat. This recipe takes them in a new direction with pork chops — not too sweet.
• 4 Blueberry Lavender Cream Pie — A creamy, rich pie with a very pretty color.
• 5 Janine's Blueberry Basil Ice Cream - One of our reader's recipes from our ice cream contest a couple years ago.
• 6 Rosewater Yogurt Panna Cotta with Blueberries - A thick, creamy pudding studded with blueberries.
• 7 Warm Blueberry Soup - An unusual dessert that shows off the flavor of blueberries better than almost any other recipe.
• 8 Blueberry Brie Tart Ice Cream - One more ice cream recipe from a reader. Blueberries with brie!
• 9 Lemon Blueberry Pancakes - A fabulous pancake recipe with blueberries.
• 10 Mini Blueberry Lemon Muffins - Teeny lemon muffins with big juicy blueberries.
• 11 Blueberry Crumb Bars - A jammy, crumbly bar.
• 12 Fluffy, Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins - For those who like whole wheat, but still want a fluffy muffin.
• 13 Blueberry Oat Quick Bread - More whole grains, baked up with blueberries.
What are your favorite ways to eat blueberries?
Related: Five Ways to Eat: Blueberries
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits.)