- Carbondale, IL
- Square Feet:
- What makes your small kitchen so cool:
- Our kitchen has a wonderful industrial vibe and an excellent workflow. The small size makes everything within easy reach but big enough to have more than one person working.
- Describe a challenge you've overcome or a smart resource you've found for your kitchen.
- Our house was built in 1912, the kitchen before this one was remodeled in the late 40's. Our remodel removed the smaller cabinets and added almost floor to ceiling open wire shelves. The butcher block countertops on the sink wall are extra deep at 30 inches to give some extra prep room. The refrigerator was relocated to an existing pantry shelf/alcove over the basement stairs in order to free up valuable floor space. We eventually opened up the wall between the kitchen and living room to give a more open feel to the space. The tool cabinet under the butcher block worktable is topped with granite and rolls out for more counter space. Most components are source from commercial supply houses or were found used or salvaged.
- What's your favorite meal to cook here?
- We cook quite a bit, but love to do Italian. Slow cooked ragus are a specialty.
Small Cool Kitchens,
Small Space Living