We already gave you our ideas for an election night menu, but we woke up this morning to a flurry of election night meal and menu articles from around the web. Here's a quick rundown of the best. Right wings and left wings, a new American menu, Peeps, and our pick for the best menu suggestion yet - all below.
Food for election night
• Election night party ideas from the Asheville Citizen-Times. Recipes include traditional Hawaiian poke, all-American apple crostata, and Virginia sweet potato and peanut soup.
• Red and blue dinner from the Boulder Daily Camera. This one's a little more high-end (and they continue on that red beet theme) with a Blue Hawaii cocktail, made with Blue Curacao, and a beet salad and blue crab souffle.
• What’s for dinner on Election Night? Lots of good ideas from the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, including McCain/Obama cookies, Hawaiian Ices, right and left wings (chicken, of course!) and the Kraft red, white, and blue Jell-O parfait.
• Our pick for the best, though: Jane Black's A Culinary Proposal for the Washington Post. Why don't we pay more attention to election night, she asks - and then goes on to argue against frozen pizza and last-minute convenience foods. Election night should represent the best of American food. A quote:
Here's what shouldn't be there: Mini quiches. Frozen pizzas. Chinese takeout.
Here's what could: Warm butternut squash salsa with roasted pumpkin seeds. Homemade wine-pepper biscuits served with a spread of ricotta, spiced apricots and Marcona almonds or with a selection of cheeses. Pulled chipotle pork with avocado cream that can be piled on soft rolls and topped with a dollop of avocado, or layered in a casserole dish for another spicy dip.
Amen! That's definitely something we can all agree on across partisan lines.
More treats and goodies
• Obama Cookies
• LA Peeps for Obama - at Flickr.
• McCain/Palin and Obama cakes at Whole Foods
• Election Day Cupcake Toppers
• Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
Any more plans for election night yet?
Related: Election Night Menu Ideas
(Image: Elise Amendola/AP)