Maybe it's because rhubarb is some of the first fresh produce to hit the markets in months. Maybe it's because we love it's bright red color - such a welcome change! Either way, we love love love rhubarb and try to get as much of it during its short season as we can.
You have to love sour flavors if you want to cook with rhubarb. Most recipes offset the sourness with a good helping of sugar, but that tart and tangy flavor still shines through.
Personally, I love it! But then, I also grew up on it. We had a big rhubarb patch next to our house while I was growing up. It sat unnoticed for ten months out of the year - until the stalks slowly started blushing from green to red. Then we knew it was time to start cooking!
From the Kitchn:
From Elsewhere Around the Web:
• Rhubarb Sorbet with Vanilla Rhubarb Compote from Gourmet
• Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble from 101 Cookbooks
• Rhubarb Ginger Galette from Simply Recipes
• Rice Pudding with Poached Rhubarb from the Bitten Word
• Rhubarb Bars from Cook & Eat
What do you love to make with rhubarb?
(Image: Romulo Yanes/Gourmet)