For many people, fall is the beginning of oatmeal season. Long gone are the days of yogurt and berries, replaced instead by hearty bowls of steaming oats. And while brown sugar, honey and nuts are all delicious toppings, there are infinite possibilities on the savory side of things.
I visited a new Oatmeal Bar called Oatmeals in New York City last week, and fell in love with the innovative menu that boasted both sweet and savory morning (or afternoon) meals. I tried the Croque Monsieur Oats, studded with bits of ham, parmesan cheese, a little cream, black pepper and sea salt. I left and immediately began searching for similar recipes to make this upcoming week. Maybe you'll join me?
Try a Recipe:
• Steel-Cut Oats with Balsamic Fig Reduction (pictured) - Nugget Market
• Mark Bittman's Savory Oatmeal with Scallions and Soy Sauce - Serious Eats
• Oatmeal with Apples, Gruyere and Rosemary - Shelbs and Cheese
• Sexed-Up Savory Oatmeal - Penny De Los Santos
• Curried Oatmeal with Caramelized Onions - Tea and Cookies
• Vegetable Oats Upma - Taste Palettes
• Savory Oatmeal and Soft-Cooked Egg - Martha Stewart
Related: Gorgonzola, Walnut and Grape Oatmeal Recipe
(Image: Nugget Market)