When you hear the word "sandwich," you likely think of PB&J or maybe ham and cheese. My personal favorite is a BLAT (Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, Tomato) with a great egg salad coming in close behind. But what about mascarpone, nutella, strawberries and peaches? Ingredients on the sweeter side of things can make darn fine sandwiches, too.
I first had a dessert sandwich at a little market on a drive home from Sonoma. We'd been wine tasting and were likely just a touch tipsy, and the big gooey chocolate brie sandwich on homemade baguette was calling to me. Since then, I've spotted sweet dessert sandwiches on a few restaurant menus here and there.
I think the key to not overwhelming the palate is to share these treats with a friend (or, a lot of spots are doing them in mini sizes), and if you're making them at home to aim for balance: a nice mild cheese can often balance out a tart lemon curd or sweet berries, for instance.
Here are a few stunners from around the web. Which one calls to you?
Try a Recipe:
• Roasted Strawberry, Brie and Chocolate Grilled Cheese (pictured) - How Sweet It Is
• Nutella Sandwich - Giada De Laurentiis
• Peach Mascarpone Sandwiches - Vanilla Lemon
• Chocolate Raspberry Panini with Mascarpone - Epicurious
• The Bianca - The Grilled Cheese Academy
• Dessert BLT - Will Cook For Smiles
• Grilled Fruit and Peanut Butter Dessert Sandwich - I Love Peanut Butter
• Pound Cake Dessert Sandwiches - A Cook and Her Books
(Images: How Sweet It Is)