A couple years ago I took the first week of January and painted over the scratched-up, dirty blue paint on my kitchen walls. It was tired and scraped up, and it felt so good to spend a night painting it a lighter, brighter color. It felt like I had a new kitchen! No, I can't do a gut renovation or get rid of the countertops I loathe with all my heart, but I could make a small improvement, and it went a long way. (I also discovered that painting the ceiling with high quality ceiling made an amazing improvement in the quality of light in my kitchen.)
What about you? Want to make a small improvement in your kitchen? Maybe you just want to really scrub the floors. Or organize your spices. Or clean out the fridge. Do it! Then come back here and tell us what you did. Here are some ideas to get you going!
A Few Small Kitchen Projects
- Paint your fridge with chalkboard paint.
- Paint the whole darn kitchen, why not?!
- Make a custom glass backsplash.
- Create your own knife storage solution.
- Replace the faucet.
- Strip the wallpaper.
- Replace your under-cabinet lighting.
- Convert a closet into a pantry.
- Make a kitchen mat.
- Build a kitchen island.
- Organize and label your spices.
- Upgrade your outlet and light switch plates.
- Cover up rusty dishwasher racks with this little hack.