Chickpeas, chana, garbanzo, ceci bean. The chickpea is an ancient legume, eaten for thousands of years — and for very good reason. It's hearty and satisfying, full of protein and other excellent nutrients. Chickpeas are even fun to eat; big enough to be speared with a fork, or popped into the mouth with your fingers, they seem to offer themselves as the perfect tiny bite. Oh, and then there's this: Chickpeas are easy. They come in cans.
From curried chickpea stew made in the slow cooker, to a warm chickpea salad, here are 10 ways to put those fun, easy little beans to good use in your weeknight meals.
• 1 Couscous With Chickpeas, Fennel, and Citrus
• 2 Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs and Shallots
• 3 Warm Chickpea Salad with Cumin and Garlic
• 4 Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
• 5 Chickpea and Chorizo Soup
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)