I cannot believe school is starting already! My husband, a professor, begins his fall semester tomorrow, and school buses were doing a dry run this morning at the elementary school next door. It's time for the lunchbox to emerge from the dark cupboard you stashed it in all summer, and it's time to stock it with some good snacks for fall. Here are 15 favorites — all homemade and yummy. Some are better for kids, some for adults. But everything will add a homemade note to the lunchbox.
Before we plunge into this list, though, a reminder: Don't forget fruit! I love cut-up watermelon or little balls of cantaloupe as snacks at the end of the summer.
• 1 4-Ingredient Banana Oat Bars - Gluten-free. Made with dates instead of white sugar.
• 2 Homemade Cheddar Crackers - Super cheesy!
• 3 Crunchy Granola Bars - Crisp and nutty.
• 4 How To Make Great Granola Every Time - A little cup of granola makes an energizing afternoon snack.
• 5 How to Make Cinnamon-Raisin Swirl Bread - Not just for breakfast!
• 6 Oven-Dried Apple Chips - Dehydrated apple slices, dried in the oven.
• 7 Spicy Baked Plantain Chips - Baked plantains are really satisfying.
• 8 Roasted Curried Chickpeas with Rosemary and Thyme - Another hearty and satisfying snack.
• 9 Cheesy Spicy Popcorn - A big baggie of cheesy popcorn is always a welcome treat!
• 10 Maple-Butter Spiced Popcorn - A sweeter popcorn snack.
• 11 Savory Oatmeal Cookies - A savory twist on an oatmeal cookie.
• 12 Veggies Stored In Dip - A good way to pack veggies (make homemade creamy dip with this recipe).
• 13 Milk and Honey Peanut Butter Balls - Peanut butter fudge, for kids.
• 14 Wasabi-Toasted Nori Crisps - Light and crisp Japanese snacks.
• 15 Raw Avocado Lime Mousse - Pack a little tub of this good stuff with some rice cakes to stave off afternoon hunger.
What's your favorite lunchbox snack? Little treats and nibbles to round out the day?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)