With Memorial Day around the corner, we're starting to think about picnics and barbecues. Call us crazy, but one of our favorites is a ubiquitous side dish that others may not give a second thought: baked beans.
We've rounded up some recipes that are sure to elevate your next batch, whether you start from scratch or even dress up some canned beans.
- Bon Appétit's Hot and Smokey Baked Beans features bacon, dark beer and chipotle chilies. Smitten Kitchen adapts the recipe and skips the bacon.
- The Kitchen Sink starts with dried Great Northerns and ends up with Maple Baked Beans.
- Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks incorporates Lindeman's Frambois Lambic beer, dried berries and smoked paprika into her Berry Beer Baked Beans.
- Want to go heavier on the meat, try The Amateur Gourmet's version of Baked Red Kidney Beans with Chorizo.
- No time for dried beans? Try Melissa Clark's Fake Baked Beans, via The Wednesday Chef.
- Serious Eats also makes great use of canned beans with 17th Street’s Tangy Pit Beans.
- Can't pick a favorite bean? How about Simply Recipe's Three-Bean Baked Beans.