We're in the home stretch of winter, but we're still seeing grey skies and a steady drizzle of rain here. We are craving powerfully spicy, piquant dishes to get us over the last hump of cold weather and to remind us of warmer, brighter days. Spicy food warms your tongue and your belly on cold days. Here are ten favorite spicy dishes — from a hot and sour soup, to grilled spicy shrimp, to a very sexy broccoli dish.
• 1 Chili, Lemon, and Basil Shrimp with Israeli Couscous - A quick, one-bowl meal that can be as spicy or plain as you want it to be. Add a little extra chili pepper for the boldest eaters at your table, but hold back if some don't like it as hot.
• 2 Asian Cabbage Rolls with Spicy Pork - The pork in these Asian-inspired cabbage rolls is only mildly spicy, but with the ginger and garlic it is warming and nourishing on a cold night.
• 3 Spicy Roasted Chicken Thighs with Miso and Ginger - A quick recipe and piquant with miso, ginger, and hot chili paste.
• 4 Spicy Tuna Bowl - Make sushi at home! This one-bowl meal is fast and easy.
• 5 Easy Braised Collard Greens with Bacon - Slow-simmered collard greens with lots of bacon and hot red pepper flakes are so delicious in winter time.
• 6 Spicy Grilled Shrimp - A very quick and easy dinner.
• 7 Chana Masala - A warm, toasty chickpea curry. I have a pot of this in my refrigerator right now; it's one of my favorite make-ahead weeknight suppers. It just gets better and better every night.
• 8 Sexy, Spicy Broccoli - An amazingly delicious broccoli side dish that can double as a vegetarian main when served with a little rice.
• 9 How to Make Curry - A step-by-step guide to some of the major pieces of making an authentic Indian curry.
• 10 Hot and Sour Mushroom, Cabbage, and Rice Soup - A simple soup with a major kick and a lot of tang from lime juice.
And if you need something spicy and sweet to finish it all off try this Spicy Boozy Mousse!
What are your favorite spicy dishes to make in late winter and early spring?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)