Do you want to eat more vegetables? Do you promise yourself every season to try something new? Well, it is Autumn Vegetables Week at The Kitchn, and we're going for broke! This is the time of year to revel in vegetables, and we have your autumn vegetable inspiration file right here: 40 recipes to plunge you into the bounty of fall.
Every season has its vegetable glories: Tomatoes in summer, delicate greens in spring. But I feel that vegetables in autumn are the most satisfying, from glorious sweet potatoes to silky rutabaga. Chard, kale, and cabbage offer hearty salads, and a single beet can make a sweet lunch. My beloved Brussels sprouts are poking up their little heads, and I've already begun caramelizing sprouts in butter, eating them for dinner with nothing else on the plate. Roasted acorn squash, drizzled with maple syrup, could be breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
And yet in the rush of fall, it's easy to fall back on old standards and to forget the possibilities of these beautiful things. We're here to give you options and fresh colors, a menu and a palette of glorious vegetables — Turnips, celeriac, rutabaga, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, beets, onions, cabbage, kale, chard, and more.
Also, as we move through Autumn Vegetable Week, we'd love to hear your questions! Are there any questions on your mind about vegetables? Anything you'd like to learn about? Tell us here, or shoot us an email.
40 Fall Vegetable Recipes
TURNIPS, RUTABAGA & CELERIAC
• Root Vegetable Slaw With Orange-Cumin Dressing
• Root Vegetable Bread Dumplings
• Creamy, Smoky Whipped Rutabaga
• Brown Butter and Maple Glazed Turnips
• Rutabaga and Celeriac Puree with Seared Scallops
• Quick Celery Root Salad with Capers and Lemon
KALE & CHARD
• Fried Egg Kale Toast
• Kale Salad with Apricots, Avocado and Parm
• Kale Chips
• Kale Slaw with Peanut Dressing
• Red Pepper, Sausage, and Chard Risotto
• Whole Wheat Pita with Kale & Asiago
• Sautéed Rainbow Chard with Raw Beets and Goat Cheese
A Few More Ideas & Tips for Autumn Vegetables
• 10 Ways To Eat An Acorn Squash
• Basic Technique: How to Prepare Chard (Or Any Other Leafy Green!)
• Sixteen Kinds of Potatoes
• How To Pick a Potato
• Learning to Love Green Cabbage: How to Pick Em', Cook 'Em, and Eat 'Em!
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)