My Favorite Posts from The Kitchn
- Look! Crispy, Creamy Avocado Fries - These ingenious fries may even upstage my long-time obsession with guacamole. A notion that would please plenty of people in my life, relieving them of the weekly strain of hearing me ask "can we have guacamole again soon?" Every. Single. Day.
- Small Business Saturday: 30 Etsy Shops for Cooks - I love the idea of supporting small business in all its incarnations and Etsy is one of my favorite places to do so. This roundup of Etsy shops added plenty of new favorite small businesses to support again and again (or at least spend hours dreaming of places to store the handmade ceramics, gorgeous linen aprons and tea towels.
- Liquored-Up Sweets: 11 Spiked and Boozy Desserts - I can’t resist the urge to splash a bit of booze in my baked goods. These 11 ways of incorporating spirits into dessert include port-stewed prunes and whiskey-spiked sorbet. So inspiring.
- 10 Ways To Eat Brinner (Breakfast For Dinner) - 10 fabulous new ways to enjoy breakfast for dinner. They had me at "Brinner."
- Look! Savoury Broccoli Cupcakes - Gorgeous, tasty and brilliant. I can't wait to try this technique with other seasonal veggies.
My Favorite Posts from Around the Web
- Pistachio - Cocoa Nib Macarons With Bourbon Buttercream from My Tartelette - Not too sweet, with just a hint of chocolaty flavor, cocoa nibs are one of my favorite ingredients. Combine that with bourbon and pistachios, then blend those flavors into something sweet and I'm sold. Not to mention Helene's awe-inspiring photography and amazing eye for props.
- Rainier Cherry and Pumpkin Seed Butter Financiers from Cannelle et Vanille - The combination of unlikely flavors makes these amazing little (gluten-free!) cakes a showstopping treat for guests...or a lovely afternoon snack with a cup of tea.
- Watermelon Radishes, Candied Walnuts, and the Best Salad Ever from Sweet Fine Day - I love everything about this post on one of my very favorite blogs (they also run Whimsy and Spice, one of my favorite Brooklyn-based online sweet shops). This post roped me in with the tiny, perfectly lit watermelon radish, captivated me with gingery, candied walnuts and left me happily snacking on the leftover pomegranate seeds.
- Sunday Morning Baked Eggs from What Katie Ate - I've already waxed poetic on my love for "Brinner" so does it really come as a surprise that this post on baked eggs make the list? Katie's beautiful photography and innovative ingredients made breakfast for dinner even more enjoyable. (Is that possible?)
- Tiramisù That Soaks Up Wine Instead of Coffee from The New York Times - A good tiramisu is one of my favorite ways to cap off a meal and I love to see what Melissa Clark has to share with us in her always enticing A Good Appetitecolumn for The New York Times. By soaking ladyfingers in a sweet, fizzy wine rather than espresso, this recipe is another great - and unexpected - way to add a bit of spirit to dessert.
* * *
Welcome to The Kitchn's end-of-year roundup! We are rounding up some of our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the last year, including lots of recipes. We are also shaking out our reader mailbag, and giving you a few more great guest posts from our friends.
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)