The hallmark of a good chowder is being able to stand a wooden spoon straight up in the pot without it tipping over. This is both a fun party trick and also how you know that the soup has simmered down to the perfect thick chowder consistency.
• Potato-Fish Chowder from Martha Stewart
• New England Clam Chowder from Saveur
• Buttermilk Crab Chowder from Sunset Magazine
• Lobster Chowder from The New York Times
• Roasted Autumn Vegetable Chowder from Pinch My Salt
• Corn Chowder from Simply Recipes
How do you like your chowder?
(Image: Martha Stewart)