With its soft texture and mild flavor, polenta is the perfect foil for both sweet and savory:
1. Go Sweet! - Stir in some stewed fruit or fresh summer jam. Sweeten it up with maple syrup or honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Toasted nuts, lemon zest, and dried fruit make it even better.
2. Go Savory! - A poached egg nestled on top is a must. We also like the idea of mixing in caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, beans, bits of bacon or sausage, and even a spoonful of spicy salsa. A sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese or queso fresco would be irresistible.
3. Fry It Up! As it cools, polenta sets into a solid block. We can’t think of anything better than cutting that into wedges and frying the polenta in a little butter. The outside gets super crispy while the inside stays creamy.
These polenta-based breakfast ideas sound absolutely delicious:
• Blueberry Almond Breakfast Polenta from Food52
• Breakfast Polenta with Chorizo and Queso Fresco from Bon Appétit
• Fried Breakfast Polenta with Blackberry Meyer Lemon Jam from Joy the Baker
Do you like polenta for breakfast? What are you favorite add-ins?