These cool almost-fall mornings and this week’s Latin American theme have us craving warm bowls of creamy polenta. As Faith points out, polenta is just as good for breakfast
as it is for dinner, and we have a few breakfast-y ideas we can’t wait to try.With its soft texture and mild flavor, polenta
is the perfect foil for both sweet and savory:
1. Go Sweet! - Stir in some stewed fruit or fresh summer jam. Sweeten it up with maple syrup or honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Toasted nuts, lemon zest, and dried fruit make it even better.
2. Go Savory! - A poached egg nestled on top is a must. We also like the idea of mixing in caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms, beans, bits of bacon or sausage, and even a spoonful of spicy salsa. A sprinkling of sharp cheddar cheese or queso fresco would be irresistible.
3. Fry It Up! As it cools, polenta sets into a solid block. We can’t think of anything better than cutting that into wedges and frying the polenta in a little butter. The outside gets super crispy while the inside stays creamy.
These polenta-based breakfast ideas sound absolutely delicious:
• Blueberry Almond Breakfast Polenta from Food52
• Breakfast Polenta with Chorizo and Queso Fresco from Bon Appétit
• Fried Breakfast Polenta with Blackberry Meyer Lemon Jam from Joy the Baker
Do you like polenta for breakfast? What are you favorite add-ins?
Related: Marcella Hazen’s No-Stir Polenta: Recipe Reviews
(Image: Leo Gong/Bon Appétit and Faith Durand)