Kale makes a delicious and healthful salad green, but it can also be tough and somewhat bitter. By massaging the fibrous leaves, you can bring out their sweetness and transform them into something tender and more easily digestible. We've known people who proclaimed not to like raw kale go crazy for the massaged version.
If using a simple vinaigrette, you can massage the dressing right into the kale. You can also massage the leaves with a little bit of olive oil prior to adding other salad ingredients. Just chop up the kale, drizzle with olive oil, and use your fingers to rub the oil into the leaves. After a minute or two, you'll notice the leaves wilting and shrinking. Stop when the texture and flavor are to your liking.
Recipes to try:
• Raw Kale & Pork Cheek Salad
• Kale Salad with Quick-Pickled Watermelon Radish
• Kale Salad with Blood Orange and Meyer Lemon
• Kale Salad with Pecorino and Lemon
• Kale Salad with Apricots, Avocado & Parmesan
(Image: Emily Ho)