I've never been one for hiding vegetables in unlikely foods simply for the sake of getting more into your daily diet. But there's something to be said for thinking of creative ways to use up a small household glut of something good. Extra zucchini? How about folding it into chocolate waffles? Extra sweet potatoes? They bake into morning pancakes beautifully.
A friend of mine has started getting a CSA box delivered to her home every week, and she was complaining on the phone recently about how they have no idea what to do with all of the zucchini and squashes. They've been doing all the likely moves: roasting them for dinner, stuffing them, and folding them into pasta sauces and simple casseroles. But they hadn't yet thought about breakfast: so many fall vegetables sneak into breakfast quite nicely, especially when we're talking about the griddle.
Try a Recipe:
• Healthier Zucchini and Carrot Fritters - Sara Rae for The Kitchn
• Sweet Potato Pancakes - The Carriage House B & B
• Pumpkin Pancakes - Ruth Reichl
• Carrot Cake Waffles - Willow Bird Baking
• Double Chocolate Zucchini Waffles - The Better Baker