So NASA caught a supernova — i.e., a star exploding — as it was happening and assembled the images into a GIF. Pretty cool, right? We thought so, and it inspired us to think out-of-this-world, albeit a bit closer to home. Plates that twinkle like the summer night sky are a cheery, cool way to brighten up your table, whether you're dining indoors or out.
1. Diesel by Seletti Cosmic Dinner Plate, $70 from Gessato: Part of the celestial dinnerware collection from Italian designers Diesel Living and Seletti, this moon plate delivers a realistic view of the moon's surface.
2. Cosmic Lunch Plate, $160 at Huzza: This hand-painted terracotta plate from artist Liz Quakenbush will light up any lunch or dinner table.
3. Lollipop Moon Platter with Star Cutter, $33 from Amara: This platter is sure to be the, ahem, star of your gathering. Made of fine bone china and adorned with stars in real gold foiling, it even comes with its own little star-shaped cookie cutter for creating out-of-this-world party displays.
4. Franciscan Starburst Dinnerware Set, $350 from Etsy: This 27-piece midcentury modern set includes salt and pepper shakers, cups and saucers, a gravy bowl, creamer, and sugar dish — and more. It doesn't come cheap, but it's totally stellar.
5. Constellation Plates, $48 for 4 from notNeutral: Besides being a spacey way to display culinary creations, the plates accurately depict Los Angeles at midnight on the first night of each season.
Get More Starry Stuff: 6 Constellation-Themed Picks