Yesterday, we mentioned how we've been cooking a big pork shoulder over the weekend and then using it in recipes all week long. This is a great way to make one meal (pulled pork sandwiches!) stretch into several different meals. Here are some ways we like to use the leftovers!
Since we know we'll be eating this in more than just pulled pork sandwiches, we keep the flavors relatively neutral. Using the Cheater Pulled Pork recipe as a base, we switch up the seasoning with other herbs or spices, and then substitute broth, a bottle of beer, or any other cooking liquid for some or all of the liquid smoke.
We'll have pulled pork sandwiches on the first night, mixing the shredded pork with some barbecue sauce and piling it on hamburger buns. We use the rest of the pork over the course of the week to round out meals like these:
1. Pork Quesadillas - We make a quesadilla filling with the pork, roasted red peppers and caramelized onions and season it with cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder.
2. Pork Ragout over Pasta - We mix a cup or so of the pork into our regular tomato sauce to make a succulent and fancy mid-week meal.
3. Pulled Pork Grilled Cheese Sandwiches - Pressed with melted cheese and served with a cup of tomato soup, this is luxury itself!
4. Pork and Mushroom Casserole - We've found that the pork makes a great addition to either a basic pasta casserole or our favorite mushroom-barley casserole.
5. Pulled Pork and Egg Scramble - Another quick and satisfying meal. We like onions, garlic, and some spinach and then serving it over toast.
6. Shepard's or Cottage Pie Pulled pork can take the place of the hamburger for a riff on either of these classic dishes.
Any other ideas for using pulled pork in other dishes?
Related: Weekend Project: Make Your Weekday Lunches Ahead!
(Image: Elizabeth Passarella)