Well, this dish might be our late summer fling. We had an amazing salad at a restaurant last night in Chicago—raw, shaved sprouts, thinly sliced fennel, parmesan, herbs, and a mustardy vinaigrette.
Because we were with a work colleague who doesn't know us very well, we resisted the urge to pick up the bowl and lick it. But we immediately went looking for recipes.The key to the salad we're craving is very fresh, very well-shredded brussels sprouts. The end result is like a slaw, which means we'd probably shave our sprouts on a mandoline. The ratio of sprouts to fennel was definitely not 1:1; it was definitely a sprouts-heavy flavor.
But the shavings of parmesan in the mix were unexpected and delicious, and the vinaigrette was robust without overwhelming the vegetables.
None of the recipes below are exactly what we're looking for. We're not interested in nuts, for example. But several have elements that sound familiar—mustard seeds, pecorino, parmesan... We'll experiment and get back to you.
• Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Fresh Walnuts and Pecorino, from Gourmet (above)
• Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Pecans and Mustard Seeds, from Body and Soul
• Brussels Sprouts Salad, from 101 Cookbooks
• Stolen Salad, from The Food Section
• Raw Brussels Sprouts Salad with Almonds and Parmesan, from Oprah.com
(Image: John Kernick for Gourmet)