What's for dessert? Fruit! But not "just" fruit — fruit, treated right, can be the most delectable and sumptuous after-dinner treat imaginable. As we move into the spring and summer, when fruit comes back into season, come look for inspiration here — these are sweets to end your meal on a light yet special note.
A note about the "health" aspect of fruit desserts. Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes "healthy" when it comes to dessert. Some people want low-fat desserts; others want fresh, seasonal, and organic ingredients; others looks for recipes where there is little to no added processed sugar.
There's some of everything in this list. Some of these fruit desserts don't have any sugar added at all; some do. Some are low-fat; one or two still have plenty of richness. So sort through and see which you like best, and which suit your own eating preferences.
• 1 Poached Apricots with Vanilla and Cardamom - Most apricots need a little heat to bring out their sweetness. This simple dessert is a luscious example.
• 2 Melon with Lime-Chile Syrup - The perfect after-dinner treat for summer. Cool, tangy, and fiery at once!
• 3 How To Make Creamy Ice Cream with Just One Ingredient! - The famous, magical creamy ice cream, made from one amazing fruit.
• 4 Saucy and Sweet Grilled Pineapple - Pineapple on the grill needs no introduction, and no dressing up. It's hot, juicy, and sweet.
• 5 Citrus Salad with Lemongrass Syrup - A beautiful showstopper of a dessert.
• 6 Roasted Cherries - Roasting cherries makes them even richer and darker. Wonderful with just a touch of cream or whipped yogurt.
• 7 Easy Glazed Bananas - Sweet and yummy bananas.
• 8 Baked Persimmons - Persimmons also benefit from a touch of heat.
• 9 Poached Whole Plums with Brown Sugar Syrup - A syrupy and sweet dessert that looks beautiful in all its scarlet juiciness.
• 10 Honey and Spice Poached Pears - Simple poached pears are delicious on their own, and their syrup can be used to make cocktails and fizzy drinks.
• 11 Roasted Peaches with Dessert Wine - A simple dish of roasted peaches with a bit of fragrant dessert wine.
• 12 Oatmeal-Brown Sugar Baked Apples - Baked apples with whole grains (oats, in this case) are a favorite weeknight treat.
• 13 Mango Dessert with Clotted Cream - Mango with a touch of cream, and pistachios.
• 14 Brie with Roasted Cinnamon Plums - This is a richer sort of dessert, but it needs no extra sugar, and it's a rich and delicious way to end a meal.
• 15 Tropical Fruit Salad With Creamy Lime Sauce - A summery-sweet salad with a creamy sauce.
What are your favorite ways to eat fruit, simply prepared, for dessert?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)
(Originally published April 2011)